Wednesday, November 04, 2015

My second half marathon at Great Eastern Women's Run 2015

My second half marathon finish, completed in 2:51:06.

For my second half marathon at the Great Eastern Women's Run at Singapore, I finished 2:51:06!
I couldn't believe it, a 14 minute improvement over my first half marathon last June at the Penang Second Bridge with a time of 3:05:14!

What makes this surprising was my insufficient prepation (only 4 out of the recommended 12 weeks of training).  The Penang haze drastically shortened outdoor running and I was resigned to getting a poor finish.  My goal was just to complete the run under 3 hours 30 minutes so this result makes me feel great!

I'm so pumped up for my next run this coming November 22 at the Penang First Bridge.  My next target is 2:45:00.  Fingers crossed!
Somewhere along the 15km route
A very quick stopover to capture this haze free skyline.
Selfie at the finish line

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Backstory #1
This GEWR almost didn't materialize.  Five days before the event, Singapore's haze levels were still under the hazardous levels (150+).  The advisory was that only if the haze level falls below 100 will the race continue, otherwise it will be cancelled.   Great thing the wind direction blew the haze away the next day until race day so the run commenced.

Backstory #2
During the Carnival Day at Sarah's school, I left early to catch my flight to Singapore.  Checked in solo at Marina Mandarin hotel, chosen for its location which was just behind the starting line. Bought my supplies (banana, bread, energy drinks) at the adjacent Marina Square mall and crashed early to bed.  Woke up at 4am, took a bath, ate breakfast and walked to the assembly starting point.   Was able to catch the breakfast buffet before it closed, had a hearty brunch then checked out at noon.
Enroute to Singapore
Upgraded to Executive Room, yey!
MBS Laser Light Show at 8pm, viewed from the balcony.
Singapore's business skyline and the Esplanade all lit up

As mentioned, this particular weekend was a crazy one, full of activities left and right.  But all in a good way.








1 comment: