Friday, June 19, 2015

My first half marathon experience

Completed my first half marathon at the Penang second bridge, woohoo!

Early this year, I had the brilliant idea (enter sarcastic voice!) of challenging myself to do a half marathon.  The distance of a half marathon, also called a half mary, is 21 km or 13.1 miles.

I signed up for the Penang Bridge Half Marathon, slated June 14, 2015.  I have a 3-month training plan but halfway through, laziness took over and I failed to do the required long runs (runs above 10 km).  My practice runs ranged between 3 - 6 km, twice a week at most.  Then six days prior the race, I finally pushed myself and managed a 10 km practice run.  It was a measly training, which made me apprehensive and anxious on race day itself.

Site and Route map courtesy of penangmarathon.gov.my

D-day came last Sunday morning.  Flag off was 4:30 am for all categories - Open, Men, Women, Junior.  Adrenaline and excitement coursed me through the first 15 km before fatigue set in.The last 6 kilometers were mentally and physically tough. Legs were tired and wobbly, and there was some ankle pain, so I started walking.  I started running again when I saw the last 2 km marker, literally pushing and encouraging myself to the end.

Clockwise from bottom left:  Hurrying to the starting line;  runners off at the 4:30am start; reached the bridge's main span.

I'll be honest, even though it may seem corny, but about 100m to the finish line, my eyes welled up a little.  It was an intense feeling crossing over that line, a mixture of exhaustion and exhilaration!  My official time was 3:05:14, but then I had a toilet break at the 3rd water station, with ~5 minute queue.  But my time was well within the 3.5 hours qualifying time, so it's all good.

Clockwise from left:  main span on the way back;  check out how far the main span is when I took the photo; the crowded finish line

Now that I know its doable, I want more half marys!   My ultimate goal is to finish a full (42km) marathon before I hit 40 years old.  That's two full years ahead, enough to train well.   That night, I've signed up for half marathon at the Asics Penang Bridge Marathon 2015 this November 22, aiming for a personal record of anywhere between 2:30-2:45 finish time.



No comments:

Post a Comment