Monday, July 06, 2015

A switch to running

11 years ago, I started playing badminton with my ex-Intel colleagues.  I trained with a former national player and became good enough to win several local tournaments, representing Intel.  I loved badminton, it was intense and fun!  But that came to an end when I moved to Penang.  There was a group that played regularly which I joined for a while; then it was disbanded when they moved to Singapore.  Tried joining other groups to no avail.  It was with a heavy heart that I retired my badminton rackets, shoes, and shuttlecock.

Recently, I've found that running can be my new sport.  Running doesn't require much, just a few things - a good pair of running shoes, dri fit sportswear, a running app and a jogging track or treadmill.

With a half marathon finish under my belt, I'm pumped up to do more runs!  A week of recovery after my half marathon, I started signing up for more running events.  This is in line with my personal goal of completing a full marathon (42 km distance) by next year, before I turn 40 years old in 2017.

Here's my running events for 2015:
1.  5 km, Great Eastern Color My Heart Run, April 19 @ Esplanade, Penang
2.  21 km, Penang Bridge Half Marathon, June 14 @ Penang 2nd bridge
3.  21 km, Asean Unity Run, August 9 @ Kuala Lumpur
4.  8 km, DC Superhero Run, August 30 @ Esplanade, Penang
5.  8 km, Run 4 Peace, September 20 @ USM Penang
6.  21 km, Great Eastern Women Run, November 1 @ Singapore
7.  21 km, Asics Penang Bridge Marathon, November 22 @ Penang 1st bridge

I'm still on the lookout for other running events in between the above dates and for 2016.
Run, Marz, run!



No comments:

Post a Comment