Thursday, July 14, 2011

Never too old...

I never had proper swimming lessons, I just 'learned' on my own.  I thought that as long as I can 'swim' from point A to point B, I'm good.  But since moving on our own place at Parkview Towers, where there is a common pool, I decided to cross out 'learn how to swim properly' from my 'things to do before I die' list.  Which will be another post soon.
 

Mr. Loo, a swim coach in Penang I googled, was agreeable to come to our apartment for a 10-session swim lesson. My colleague at work, Mi Mi, was also interested to get her two kids learn together with me and Reena, my 6 year old stepdaughter.  We made arrangements and last Sunday, the first session started.

Mr. Loo started by teaching us how to breathe properly - breathe in through the mouth and breathe out through the nose.  Being the oldest in the  group, of course I got it quickly. While the three kids were practicing breathing, Mr. Loo asked me to swim. After a short swim, he said everything I just did was wrong!  Which was not a surprise, after all I was there to be corrected.  He then proceeded to demonstrate the proper way of using the arms and legs.  From there, I practiced until the session was over.

It felt good to start learning something new again. At first I was a bit embarrassed being in the company of kids but like they say, one's never too old!   Older people shouldn't limit themselves in learning new things, it spices up life and makes one feel good.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Marz! There's no age limit to learning new things. Speaking if which, I also need proper swimming lessons!=)

    ReplyDelete